Control Measures For Cockroaches: Cockroach Control
When a cockroach problem presents itself, it’s time to take action and get control of the situation immediately as cockroaches pose an infestation problem, which can quickly get out of hand.
Managing cockroaches is important because they germ and disease carriers. They contaminate food products, countertops, dishes, and anything else they come in contact with; are highly destructive to paper products; and they eat holes in fabrics, which includes clothing. On the health front, they can cause allergies and intestinal disorders and diseases.
Another reason for immediate management is their life cycle. A female lays her eggs, which develop into nymphs, then progress on the fast-track to adulthood that can take around 36 days. This fast process leads to a cycle of continuous population growth.
- Cockroaches are estimated to have come into being over 280 million years ago. These insects are resilient and adaptable to the environment in many ways, which explains why they have survived through the centuries.
- There are over 4,000 cockroach species in the world. The German, American, and brown-banded are the most common.
- Three things that stand out as interesting characteristics are the cockroach’s ability to hold its breath for up to 40 minutes at a time. It also can cover three miles in an hour and it is able to survive up to a week if its beheaded. It won’t die because it has lost its head but due to its inability to drink water.
With these types of traits, it supports the fact that the benefits of cockroach control and management are vital to keeping your home pest and germ-free.
Cockroach Prevention Tips
For homeowners, there are several preventative steps that can be taken to help prevent an infestation or help eliminate one that already exists.
Cockroaches are insects of habit. This means they repeatedly go to places where provide a food and water source. Put a stop to the free buffet by not leaving dirty dishes in the sink or sitting on the counter. Always wipe up any spills or crumbs from countertops and floors. Do not leave food packages available such as cookies, crackers, granola bars, bread, cereal, etc. Put these in the refrigerator. Place garbage in a container with a secure lid.
Hiding places that are dark, cozy, and not easily accessible is another step to address. Store items in plastic containers with tight-fitting lids versus cardboard boxes. Seal any areas around baseboards, doors, windows, and drain pipes that allow an entry point, and use caulk to seal places such as seams and crevice where the female can lay her eggs.
Keep your closets, the attic, under cabinets or any other place where items are stored or collected free of clutter. Frequently vacuum not only the floors but also snug corners and hard to reach areas especially in the kitchen where crumbs may have accumulated unseen.
For the most thorough process of eliminating these bugs and preventing them from returning is using professional pest control for cockroaches in home environments. While over-the-counter products may provide a quick fix, the control of cockroaches is most effective when applied by experts who are adept at providing long-term coverage. Here’s what you can expect from a professional cockroach treatment.
- A knowledgeable technician.
- A thorough inspection of the home.
- Proper identification and treatment of the pest.
- Full-strength treatments safely administered.
- Service warranty.
- Peace of mind.
When you see cockroaches in and around your home, don’t wait until they’ve had the opportunity to infiltrate every room creating an unhealthy environment. Make your presence known with the help of professional pest control services guaranteed to eliminate the problem quickly, efficiently, and safely.